Saturday, July 25, 2009

MAD, MAD WORLD...

I'm having a day where I don't understand why the stuff that happens, happens in this world...or rather MY WORLD!!!

In my profile info, I mentioned that I generally like all kinds of music, especially something that suits my many moods. This is my song for a day when I feel like I'm having to face the mad, mad world. Its aptly titled 'Mad World', performed by Gary Jules, a singer-songwriter from California. His is actually a cover of the Tears For Fears version. Some of you may remember the song from American Idol. Adam Lambert performed a chilling version of it.

I first heard this song in the movie Donnie Darko from way back in 2001. During the presidential election of 1988, a teenager named Donnie Darko (played by Jake Gyllenhaal) sleepwalks out of his house one night, and sees a giant, demonic-looking rabbit named Frank, who tells him the world will end in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. He returns home the next morning to find that a jet engine has crashed through his bedroom. As he tries to figure out why he survived and tries to deal with people in his town, like the school bully, his conservative health teacher, and a self-help guru, Frank continues to turn up in Donnie's mind, causing him to commit acts of vandalism and worse. It was a slightly odd movie (a cult phenomenon) but that's whats so fascinating about it!

Click on the link below for Gary Jules' live performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Nq086QB1Q

No comments:

Post a Comment